Monday, September 26, 2011

Communities of Practice and Situated Learning

We tend to generalize and make presumptions about where learning takes place.  Our automatic response tends to be "learning happens in school, duh."  In addition we presume that the learner is the student and the teacher is doing the teaching.  But is this always the case?  In his article, Wenger addresses this and crosses the quote on quote normal boundaries of where and who in regards to learning.  He shares, "People usually think of apprenticeship as a relationship between a student and a master, but studies of apprenticeship reveal a more complex set of social relationships through which learning takes place mostly with journeymen and more advanced apprentices. The term community of practice was coined to refer to the community that acts as a living curriculum for the apprentice."  This is what learning should be.  Learning is between all people and happens everywhere, or at least it should be.  We should be able to learn from professors, family members, political figures, our neighbors, random people we meet, and even the little girl down the street.  We can learn in the classroom, on the playground, while watching television, and when standing in line at the grocery store.  Learning is a reciprocal and exponential process that should not be taken for granted. 

How funny.  I am currently reading the inFed article while writing this post, and it shares my thoughts that I have previously stated above while reading the first article.  This article states, "in some groups we are core members, in others we are more at the margins."  It is refreshing to think that we are all part of communities whether large or small, and within these communities, we are all learners.  The extent of our learning and participation varies, but it does happen.  They continue to share that learning is a social process and occurs within relationships.  Learning is not something that happens individually.  I am still not sure as to where I lie with this.  I do agree about the social aspect, but I do feel there are times when learning takes place on an individual level.  Wouldn't self-actualization or realization be individual?  Or would it not because at some point a community was probably involved?  This article also made a distinction between experiential learning and situated learning.  I think I have just made the presumption that they are the same thing, but according to Lave and Wenger, they are not.  I probably need to do a little more reading for some clarification on this.  I feel that there may be a very thin line that separates these two types of learning.  I feel as though there is the potential for experiences or situations to cross over and/or play both fields.  Now, I am probably over thinking it and confusing myself.  

 From what I gather both Wegner and Lave favor informal learning.  However, according to Formal and Informal Learning there is still a great need for formal learning.  There is  a 4:1 ration of  informal to formal learning.  Every hour of formal learning equates to four hours of informal learning.  "Formal learning acts as bricks fused into the emerging bridge of personal growth.  Informal learning acts as the motar facilitating the acceptance and development of the formal."  One does not take precedence over the other.  Formal and informal depend on one other.  Therefore we need both in order to learn. 

As educators, its is our responsibility to ensure that we are providing the best learning environments in the formal setting, but also recognize that more learning will also take place informally.  We need to find ways in which we can bridge the gap between the two.  Perhaps intentionally using communities of practice and situated learning in the classroom can be a start.


 
 On another note....
I posted my first tweet.  That was a feat.
I bookmarked sites using diigo and also used diigo to search for articles.
I played around with woordle.  Did not end up with a final product. 
I figured out how to post a link into my blog.

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on the tweet! Very exciting. I hope you got some responses.
    Regarding the PoC's, don't feel bad about being confused, I share that feeling with you. THe whole idea of formal and informal education being pitted against each other is confusing because in the end, aren't we just concerned with having our youth learn? Why do we have to put on down to have the other? I think there should be a balance between both types to help heighten students experiential AND situational learning. We need to teacher students of PoC's but we need to monitor them so they can understand there are positive and negative choices out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely think there are some things that students learn as an individual. I think that where CoPs come in (or even formal teaching) is that there are still "contributors" to this learning. So although a student may be realizing things that relate to themselves (i.e. learning about oneself) on their own, there might have been contributing factors. An article they read, something someone said, a teacher teaching life skills, etc. I hope what I said makes sense, I know that sometimes things seems to make more sense in your head than when written down.
    I also like the comment that formal and informal learning go hand in hand. I like the recognition that formal learning has its place and importance. I feel like with these CoP articles and information that they suggest that there is not a need for formal education anymore, which I completely disagree with (otherwise, what am I doing here??) Very mind-stimulating blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Marissa!

    Funny that we read the same article!! I definitely do agree with you that we need to bridge the gap inbetween the formal and informal learning experiences that our students are facing. I feel that in our classrooms today, our formal learning experiences need to relate to our students everyday lives because students are able to connect to the material so much more than just teaching out of the textbook. Like the article mentioned, formal learning serves as the foundation and informal learning adds to the retention of that foundation, so without one another, the learning experience would just be another one of those "lecture" sessions that we all dread! This article gave very intersting views that opposed the CoP articles that we read that focus mainly on informal learning. Great blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Wegner and Lave that informal learning is a great type of learning. I believe that informal learning is driven by passion and desire to learn something. It makes learning a fun process and not tedious as students sometimes feel with formal learning. However, I agree with you that formal learning is still needed. I think that formal learning is something that teaches a broad area of knowledge that if students didn't have they wouldn't learn it all. I think that by combining formal and informal learning it is the 'Holy Grail' of knowledge.

    ReplyDelete