Monday, September 19, 2011

How to Create a PLN: What I Learned

The first site I reviewed was:  http://teacherchallenge.edublogs.org/
   I found this site useful as it is gear to a broad spectrum--to all levels of learners.  It has information for someone such as I who is just beginning her PLN career, for someone who is an expert, and for all those in the in between.  The information is broken down in to user friendly categories and topics, making it easy to learn step by step, or find a specific content area.  The site is also geared to varying types of learners.  The information is presented through text, graphics, videos, etc.  Overall, this site provided me with information that I needed to know in order to begin my PLN, while also wetting my appetite for all that is out there and can be done. 

The second site I reviewed was: http://mz557.edu.glogster.com/twitter-building-a-pln/
    I was first attracted to this site because it was a glogster account.  I was first introduced to glogster in a literacy class last semester and had so much fun attempting to make my own poster on one of my favorite picture books.  The site provides information in favor of using twitter in the classroom.  It shares how it can be used and why it should be used.  The link that I personally appreciated was:
http://web20classroom.blogspot.com/2010/03/why-pln.html.  This link shared individual stories of having a PLN via videos, making it personable and relatable.

Lastly I reviewed:  http://www.speedofcreativity.org/2010/07/13/4467/
     I have always been a bit apprehensive and weary of my presence on the internet.  My intent was to be cautious as to what information gets out there, because once it is, you can't ever truly get rid of it.  With this being said, I've struggled with what sites to join, how connected I should be, and how reliable things are.  In the first night of class, I think my excitement for what we would be doing temporarily removed all these questions and concerns I have had.  I was so excited be begin and see what I could do that my cautiousness blew out the window.  Unfortunately my overzealous attitude soon wore off over the next few days and I started to get anxious about my internet presence.  Luckily, I found this site and read the following: "If you fail to connect to the network of learners, you miss out on a global conversation about what you are passionate about. And missing out is a darn shame because it can save you time, energy, and increase your reach, no matter how brilliant (or not) you are. That’s a powerful idea. Smart people get smarter because they have access to the network of learners. People who are just starting out are able to learn as fast as they can to accomplish what they need to do."  This excerpt struck a chord.  I realized that I am still going to have to continue being cautious, but there is so much out there that will be beneficial to not only myself, but my students, and those I am connected with.  The network is a valuable tool and a place for people who desire to be life long learners.  PLNs are a stepping stone for my learning and improvement of skills and driving of passion.

Today I am much more at ease and back to being excited about the learning opportunities that I will have because of creating a PLN.  These three sites have allowed me to have a better understanding and overall perspective of the "what is" and "how to" and "why" in regards to a PLN. 

Looking forward to being globally connected!

No comments:

Post a Comment