Sunday, October 9, 2011

Creators and Empathizers

In his book, A Whole New Mind, Daniel Pink describes the Conceptual Age as one defined by creators and empathizers.  Because of abundance, Asia, and automation, the United States is able to take a different perspective than they have during previous time periods.  With such resources, our country is moving toward occupations needing people who have the ability to do the following:
1.  Create artistic and emotional beauty
2.  Detect patterns and opportunities
3.  Craft satisfying narrative
4.  Combine seemingly related ideas into a novel invention
Since we are moving into this new ear, individuals, businesses, large corporations, etc., are going to have to change the way in which they go about doing things--change the way in which they think.  The economy is requiring for less left-brain dominance and a stronger showing of the right-brain. 

4 comments:

  1. This is all true, and I think that it affects us as educators because we need to make sure we are cultivating right-brain thinking in our students so that they are not "lost" in the new Conceptual Age that they will be a part of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that it is important for us as educators to know this shift in thinking, as well as corporations know this. This is a huge change(that I like) in the way our society functions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Marissa,

    I was reading your post on my blog and I was actually going to ask you if you thought if you were more left or right "brained". Reason I was going to ask was I noticed in your posts, you organize your thoughts in a sequential way! (I do the same thing because I feel it allows me to get my point across in "bullet" form!) Funny how we analyze ourselves, but actually see the other side!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I envy your ability to write in such a succinct, yet holistic manner!

    ReplyDelete