Saturday, October 8, 2011

Visitor or Resident?



Here are a few key points from the clip:
1.  Visitor:  They leave no trace.  Social media is a vehicle to staying connected to those they have preexisting relationships with.  They are goal oriented and use the internet with a specific end point in mind.  The network is a specific tool that will allow for them to fill their needs and only that specific need.
2.  Resident:  They see the web as a social space where they are free to roam.  Their presence still lingers though they are no longer online.  A key factor in being a resident is being visible--erosion happens and therefore they need to continue building their presence.
3.  Educational Ideology- Learning happens between the individual, content, and expert.
4.  Twitter is a residential platform that meets sociocultural needs.
5.  Some platforms are designed for individuals to be residents within, while others challenge users to go in with a resident mindset.
6.   As a society, we need to approach technology from a cultural and motivational perspective.


I am working on NOT being a tourist.
After watching the clip, I have a clearer understanding as to what it means to be a visitor versus being a resident.  Am I a visitor or a resident?  Currently I am most definitely a visitor and a wannabe resident.  I have always had a visitor mindset because I want to be careful with what kind of information about me is out there.  I've also always been someone who is very goal oriented.  I use internet resources to attain these specific goals.  I do not take the time to roam around.  And honestly, I've always been a little weary with how much of myself is exposed on the world wide web.   However, this presentation showed me that it is possible to be both a visitor and a resident.  For occupational purposes, I am 100% in becoming a resident. And I think it is okay to have a visitor mindset when it comes to my personal life.  Twitter will probably be my greatest challenge in becoming a resident as it is a platform that erodes quickly.  I need to be able to tweet enough so that I am visible.  Because I am so hardwired to being a visitor, I need to challenge myself to change my perspective to that of a resident.  I need to use these amazing tools with the mindset of a resident.


I am a work in progress:
1.  Pinterest- Obsessed and could spend all day repining things.
2.  Twitter- Working on being more present.  Definitely do a lot of lurking.  Most of the time, I don't know what to say. 
3.  Diigo- Love all the links from twitter and other things I am reading.  I just never remember to diigo them.
4.  Blogster-  Like Twitter, working on being more present.  Challenging myself to blog just cause.
5.  Facebook-  It is probably where I am the most resident, but unintentionally.
6.  YouTube- Have an account, and that is basically it. 


4 comments:

  1. Hi Marissa, I completely agree about Twitter. I've had the hardest time with Twitter in terms of putting myself out there. I feel like I have to force myself to go on and look at the links and re-post or figure out what I should say (and in less that 140 characters!). I'm trying really hard to get out of the visitor mindset though and really become a resident in it because I think it is definitely a useful tool to connect us to educators all over the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel better that reading most feel as though they are visitors too. I am also working on not being a visitor. And by the way, TOTALLY OBSESSED with Pintrest. Amazing, Amazing, Amazing website.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you described yourself as a "work in progress". And on a side note, I had planned to use the same image for my blog! Great minds...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that tourist picture!!!!

    I agree with you and Sherilyn... how can you express yourself in less that 140 characters??? haha.. and I know there's videos on that too... I remember people posting them on facebook back in the day when I was not present on twitter!!! Maybe I'll try to find them and post them on my blog!!!

    ReplyDelete