Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Beyond Innovation Week

I took a much needed trip to see friends from college and camp (yes I went to summer camp...just think Parent Trap) this weekend.  I have not seen one of them since I graduated a little over 2 years ago.  It was way too long!  This great reunion with my forever friends led me to Boston.  What I loved the most was just being able to hang out as though no time has passed.  It is so refreshing to be surrounded by people who just get you, but also aren't afraid to keep you accountable.  Other than a lovely time with friends, wandering aimlessly through the city (I do know my way around the city, so its not as though I got lost), and a freak snow storm, I READ!  That is one thing and possibly the only thing about being in airports and on airplanes.  It's the opportunity for me to read.  As I sat in the terminal in Boston waiting for my first flight, I perused the kindle store and ended up purchasing three books...all under $5 total.  That's a steal if you ask me.  I thought I was being overzealous after I made the purchase, but I proved myself wrong as I ended up somewhere in the third book before falling asleep on my second flight.  So I guess its a good thing I got three.  I must admit I do have a problem when it comes to purchasing books.  I noticed when in a bookstore I cannot just buy one book.  So if I am not prepared to spend money on more than one book, I need to restrain myself and not get anything.  It's all or nothing.  Ha.  And having a kindle makes purchasing a book so much easier.  I just have to push a button and not see the immediate exchange of money.  So I guess the moral of the story is that I need to travel more so that I will read more. Wouldn't that be great?!

3 comments:

  1. Kindle is saving me hours of bookstore time and that horrible feeling of "omg I'm almost done with this book and I don't have another". Can't wait for the Kindle Fire!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the Kindle...and you are right, it's so much easier but can get you in trouble because you aren't seeing that money exchange...it makes it so much easier to spend on books! I am the same way in book stores, I always want so many books! The thing is, although I have a kindle and love reading on it and the convenience of it, nothing can beat the feeling of opening a good book and turning those pages as I read. So that's why sometimes I read on the Kindle and sometimes I purchase (or check out) books. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE the post! I totally relate to that. When my fiance lived in Denver we used to take turns flying back and forth. I hate flying but the benefit is that I could read as much as I wanted. The wonderful thing about traveling (if you're by yourself) is that you get that free time to do things like read. I just bought a nook a few weeks ago and find it to be one of the coolest things. I put it in my purse so wherever I go I have something to read if I have free time! Plus that was an awesome deal for the books. I need to find deals like that!

    ReplyDelete