Sunday, November 6, 2011

Disruptive Innovation

So I am trying this whole blogging thing from my phone since I do not have my laptop with me. Lets see how this goes....

In my own words disruptive innovation is when there is a prexisting concept, vehicle, company, etc., and a new one comes in and is more accessible. For me, more accessible would be the word that describes the disruptor. The disruptee, thing which is being disrupted, can sometimes be for an elite group of people while the disruptor, the thing which is doing the disrupting, is for the general public. For example, a college or university is a disruptee because not everyone can afford it or get in. A community college would be its disruptor because it is cheaper and accepts a much broader audience. Another example would be blockbuster and redbox. Blockbuster would be the disruptee and redbox would be the disruptor. Redbox is cheap, at convenient locations (such as a grocery store where you need to go anyway) and for anyone who wants to rent. On the other hand blockbuster was for members and rental prices were higher.

So this is my nutshell understanding of disruptive innovation. And I must say though blogging on my phone is convenient, it would not be my first choice. Oh! Come to think of it, smartphones could be the disruptor of laptops!

4 comments:

  1. I think your understanding is very good. Annie and I also mentioned blockbuster and netflix! I also like to think of it as the new Disney Stars and Boy Bands. Once a new "star" disrupts and begins to rise to fame, the past sensation is overcome and left in the dust.

    Great way to start using the phone. I bet it is convenient but still a bit annoying (not easy to scroll)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome that you were able to post this on your phone! Now that I have my new phone, I will try it out! :) I like that you came up with the blockbuster and red box analogy. That with netflix and it's a really good example of this disruptive model.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha--love the smartphone/laptop disruptor example! This was incredibly clear and concise. And good job on your first phone post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny we thought of the whole Blockbuster/Redbox idea!!! I love redbox! I have yet to use netflix, since I have no time to watch movies as much as I would like to!! But, hopefully redbox doesn't raise their prices more!!

    ReplyDelete